How to apply
The academic year at IPADS begins in September each year. Potential applicants must first show their intention to apply by submitting online application form (linked from this page). For admission in September 2016, the online application is open until midnight on 11 March 2016 (JST). Following the prescreening, those who meet the eligibility criteria and are considered suitable for consideration for admission (shortlisted candidates) will be invited to submit the application documents listed below. This invitation will be made online, at http://ipads.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp. We will not contact each candidate separately or respond to inquiries about the result of the prescreening.
Shortlisted candidates will be given six weeks to send in these documents. Applicants are strongly advised to obtain them well in advance of the deadline, prior to the announcement of the shortlist if necessary, as late submissions will not be accepted.
An interview may be conducted, either in person or via videolink, as a part of the selection process. Applicants will be notified if this is the case. The final selection result will be announced, once again online at http://ipads.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp.
Application timetable - September 2016 intake (all times JST)
Selection is carried out in two separate rounds as per the following timetable. Applicants who have been unsuccessful in Round One can apply again in Round Two if they wish to do so.
|Round One||Round Two|
|Online application closes||11 December 2015||11 March 2016|
|Shortlist announced||by 25 December 2015||by 25 March 2016|
|Document submission closes||5 February 2016||6 May 2016|
|Final results announced||by 10 March 2016||by 10 June 2016|
Questions we ask during the online application process
- Birth date
- Phone number
- Email addresses
For degrees attained (or expected to be attained before 23 September 2016):
- Name of institution
- Country of institution
- Degree attained
- Year commenced
- Year graduated
- Language(s) used in the program
- For coursework degrees and coursework and research degrees, grade point average (GPA) of the coursework component
- For research degrees and coursework and research degrees, summary of the thesis (1000 words or less)
- For research degrees and coursework and research degrees, name of the principal supervisor
- Scholarships, awards, medals and prizes awarded during the program
- Scanned transcirts in PDF format
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for a test sat on or after 1 January 2014. While IPADS does not publish the official cut-off scores for English proficiency tests, we especially welcome applicants who meet the following criteria: TOEFL - 98 and above, IELTS - 7.0 and above. Exemptions from submitting the English test scores are given to applicants from a very limited number of countries only. The IAPDS Office reserves the right to request submission of a proof of English proficiency from all applicants, regardless of their nationalities and educational background.
- Scholarship or funding source for your study in Tokyo
- Names and affiliations of two referees
- Disciplines of interest
- Essay: What do you want to study and achieve through the IPADS? How would you like to contribute to the society after graduation? (800-1000 words)
Documents to be submitted by shortlisted candidates
- Application form
- Proof of Bachelor's degree
- Official transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
- Research work conducted by the applicant, such as a Bachelor's thesis, Honor's thesis or equivalent (graduates of Bachelor's programs with no research component will be given an essay assignment at the time of shortlisting)
- Proof of citizenship
- Two letters of recommendation by university academics
- Passport-sized photographs
- Proof of Examination Fee payment (the details regarding Examination Fee will be sent out at the time of shortlisting)
The official Rules of Admission (MSc) for the academic year 2016/2017 (September 2016 intake) are available here.