– Apply Online Now!
The academic year at IPADS begins in September each year. Applicants for the PhD program must contact potential supervisor(s) directly and prepare a research proposal with him/her/them prior to application.
Please note that the IPADS Office does not offer assistance for potential applicants to select their supervisors. No reply will be given to such inquiries.
Selection is carried out in two separate rounds as per the following timetable. Applicants who have been unsuccessful in Round One can apply again in Round Two if they wish to do so.
Application timetable – September 2018 intake (all times JST)
|Online application closes
||8 December 2017
||13 March 2018
||by 22 December 2017
||by 26 March 2018
|Document submission closes
||2 February 2018
||7 May 2018
|Final results announced
||by 9 March 2018
||by 11 June 2018
Following the prescreening, those who meet the eligibility criteria and are considered suitable for consideration for admission (shortlisted candidates) will be invited to submit the application documents listed below. This invitation will be made online, at http://ipads.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp. We will not contact each candidate separately or respond to inquiries about the result of the prescreening.
Shortlisted candidates will be given six weeks to send in these documents. Applicants are strongly advised to obtain them well in advance of the deadline, prior to the announcement of the shortlist if necessary, as late submissions will not be accepted.
An interview may be conducted, either in person or via videolink, as a part of the selection process. Applicants will be notified if this is the case. The final selection result will informed by email.
- Protection of Users Personal Information
- Personal information collected by the inquiry form or other services of the Site shall be only used within the scope of the prescribed purposes. The said information shall be handled in strict compliance with privacy protection norms.
- Purpose of Use of Collected Information
- Personal information collected by the Site shall be used to the extent necessary for smooth operation of the Site. Email address or phone number information of users shall be used to contact them when responding to or confirming inquiries.
- Acquisition of Personal Information
- The Division for International Relations collects name, email address and other user personal information through the inquiry form of the Site.
- Provision of Collected Information to the Third Parties
- Personal information collected through the Site will not be provided to or used by third parties without the user’s express consent or unless in fulfillment of the requirements of the law.
- Access Log
- The Site stores access information (access date, IP address, host name, type of browser used and other related information), but such information does not identify individuals. The Division for International Relations does not provide such information to third parties of external institutions.
- Scope of Application
- Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences takes necessary security measures to prevent and correct unauthorized access, leakage, loss and falsification of the collected personal information on the Site.
Questions we ask during the online application process
- Birth date
- Phone number
- Email addresses
For degrees attained (or expected to be attained before 23 September 2017):
- Name of institution
- Country of institution
- Degree attained
- Year commenced
- Year graduated
- Language(s) used in the program
- For coursework degrees and coursework and research degrees, grade point average (GPA) of the coursework component
- For research degrees and coursework and research degrees, summary of the thesis (1000 words or less)
- For research degrees and coursework and research degrees, name of the principal supervisor
- Scholarships, awards, medals and prizes awarded during the program
- Scanned transcriｐts in PDF format
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for a test sat on or after 1 January 2016. While IPADS does not publish the official cut-off scores for English proficiency tests, we especially welcome applicants who meet the following criteria: TOEFL – 98 and above, IELTS – 7.0 and above. Exemptions from submitting the English test scores are given to applicants from a very limited number of countries only. The IPADS Office reserves the right to request submission of a proof of English proficiency from all applicants, regardless of their nationalities and educational background.
- Scholarship or funding source for your study in Tokyo
- Names and affiliations of two referees
- Names of the intended supervisor(s) at IPADS
- Research proposal in PDF format. The PDF file should include a copy of letter/email from the above supervisor(s) confirming his/her/their intention to supervise you on admission.
- Essay: Where and how would you like to contribute to agricultural development after graduation? (400-500 words)
Documents to be submitted by shortlisted candidates
- Application form
- Proof of a Master’s degree
- Official transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
- Research work conducted by the applicant, such as a Master’s thesis or equivalent
- Proof of citizenship
- Two letters of recommendation by university academics
- Passport-sized photographs
- Proof of Examination Fee payment (the details regarding Examination Fee will be sent out at the time of shortlisting)