Application deadline for September 2019 Intake has passed.
Application timetable – September 2019 intake (all times JST)
|Online application closes
||7 December 2018
||12 March 2019
||by 21 December 2018
||by 25 March 2019
|Document submission closes
||1 February 2019
||7 May 2019
|Final results announced
||by 8 March 2019
||by 10 June 2019
Selection is carried out in two separate rounds as per the above timetable. Applicants who have been unsuccessful in Round One can apply again in Round Two if they wish to do so.
Following the pre-screening, those who meet the eligibility criteria and are considered suitable for consideration for admission (shortlisted candidates) will be invited to submit the application documents listed below. This invitation will be made online, at http://ipads.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp.
We will not contact each candidate separately or respond to inquiries about the result of the pre-screening.
Shortlisted candidates will be given about six weeks to send in the necessary documents listed below. Applicants are strongly advised to obtain them well in advance of the deadline, prior to the announcement of the shortlist if necessary, as late submissions will not be accepted.
An interview may be conducted, either in person or via videolink, as a part of the selection process. Applicants will be notified if this is the case. The final selection result will be informed by email.
Our online application form does not have a function to “save and resume”. Please make sure that you have all necessary information before starting the application. Questions we ask during the online application process are listed below.
On being shortlisted, you will be asked to submit official transcripts and the score report of an English proficiency test. No application will be considered further, with no exception, if any of the details given in these official documents diverge from the information provided in the online application form.
Questions we ask during the online application process
- Birth date
- Phone number
- Email addresses
For degrees attained (or expected to be attained before 20 September 2019):
- Name of institution
- Country of institution
- Degree attained
- Year commenced
- Year graduated
- Language(s) used in the program
- For coursework degrees and coursework and research degrees, grade point average (GPA) of the coursework component
- For research degrees and coursework and research degrees, summary of the thesis (1000 words or less)
- For research degrees and coursework and research degrees, name of the principal supervisor
- Scholarships, awards, medals and prizes awarded during the program
- Scanned transcirts in PDF format
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for a test sat on or after 1 January 2017. While IPADS does not publish the official cut-off scores for English proficiency tests, we especially welcome applicants who meet the following criteria: TOEFL – 98 and above, IELTS – 7.0 and above. Exemptions from submitting the English test scores may be given to applicants from a very limited number of countries only. The IPADS Office reserves the right to request submission of a proof of English proficiency from all applicants, regardless of their nationalities and educational background.
- Scholarship or funding source for your study in Tokyo
- Names and affiliations of two referees
- Disciplines of interest
- Essay: What do you want to study and achieve through the IPADS? How would you like to contribute to the society after graduation? (800-1000 words)
Documents to be submitted by shortlisted candidates
- Application form
- Proof of Bachelor’s degree
- Official transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
- Research work conducted by the applicant, such as a Bachelor’s thesis, Honor’s thesis or equivalent (graduates of Bachelor’s programs with no research component will be given an essay assignment at the time of shortlisting)
- Proof of citizenship
- Two letters of recommendation by university academics
- Passport-sized photographs
- Proof of Examination Fee payment (the details regarding Examination Fee will be sent out at the time of shortlisting)